Thursday, August 20, 2015

Delaplane named NECBL Reliever of the Year

With a one-run lead going into the bottom of the tenth inning of the decisive Game 3 of the NECBL Finals, everyone knew who Vermont manager Joe Brown was going to turn to out of the bullpen. Eastern Michigan right-hander Sam Delaplane entered and finished off his 13th save of the summer, which the league rewarded by recognizing him as NECBL’s top relief pitcher.

Delaplane, who led the league with 10 saves in the regular season, joined Mountaineers alumni Mark Murray (2006) and McKenzie Willoughby (2004) as recipients of the league’s annual award. Current Washington Nationals starting pitcher Stephen Strasburg also won the award in 2007.

“It’s a real honor to win this award because their were a lot of great relievers in this league, including my teammates and especially Teddy Rodliff,” Delaplane said. “I’m humbled that the league recognized me, and it’s also an unbelievable feeling to say that I can share an award with someone of that caliber.”

He finished with a 3.29 ERA over 17 appearances, but take away his two roughest outings (five runs allowed each) and he has a 0.00 ERA. He gave up earned runs in just three of his outings and converted 10 of 11 save opportunities during the regular season.

“This year my four-seam and two-seam fastball were working as well as my curveball,” Delaplane said of his keys to success. “I was able to consistently throw them for strikes and work ahead in the count, and not falling behind led to the success I had this summer.”

Delaplane gave up three earned runs in Game 1 of the championship series against Mystic while pitching on zero rest, but rebounded after a rainout to strand the game-tying run at the third in the tenth inning. He induced a pop-up to the first base side from Schooners shortstop Aaron Hill, and Vermont first basemen Simon Rosenbaum caught it on the fly to spark a wild celebration.

“I can’t think of words to describe what it was like,” Delaplane said on closing out the franchise’s third championship. “It was the most fun I’ve ever had on a baseball diamond and I’ll easily remember it the rest of my life.”

He entered having thrown 40 innings of relief for D-I Eastern Michigan, posting a solid 2.93 ERA over 23 appearances. Delaplane recorded seven saves for the Eagles, and will be in the closer role yet again when he returns.

“I just have to do what I did before and when I was here,” Delaplane said on his next collegiate season. “I have to work hard and execute pitches, and not get too high or low in my outings. I will be more confident entering this next season.”

His summer was one of the best ever for a Mountaineer reliever. He became just the fifth reliever in Vermont history to reach double-digit saves in the regular season, joining a club that contains Murray, Willough, Dusty Odenbach and Kyle Grana. Out of that group, Delaplane led with 43 strikeouts and a 14.2 strikeouts per nine innings.

“Sam was our go-to-guy late in games and he had the ability to step up as a closer and go two inning, if need be, to save the game,” Vermont general manager Brian Gallagher mentioned. “He always arrived to the park early and worked hard all season.”

No comments :

Post a Comment