Friday, June 12, 2015

Roulis a force for Mountaineers

Roulis avoids a tag during a game this year.
Photo by Jeb Wallace-Brodeur, TA
Thomas Roulis, when healthy, is an exceptional baseball player with a quick bat and a talented glove at second base.

In his first four games with the Vermont Mountaineers since returning from an injury that sidelined him for 10 months, Roulis has proven his worth. The rising senior, in his second year with Vermont and third in the NECBL, leads the league in batting average and has been spotless at second base as well.

“I took my time after my surgery to ease back into things,” Roulis said of his lengthy recovery. “I’m just trying to play the same way I was before. I just want to hit the ball hard and let the game take care of itself.”

He entered this summer having last played a game Aug. 10, 2014, with the NECBL’s Plymouth Pilgrims. Roulis was an All-Star for the Southern Division-leading Pilgrims, hitting .305/.337/.338 while playing in 40 of 42 regular-season games.

He followed that up with a strong 2014 season at Dartmouth, where he hit .300 in 38 games. The year before, Roulis was a mainstay in the Mountaineers lineup after being sidelined all of his collegiate season with a hamstring problem.

“This is a special place,” Roulis said of the Mountaineers and Recreation Field. “The people here are always encouraging and we have great fans. It’s just a great place to play.”

Roulis hit .244 in his first stint in Montpelier, earning All-Star honors while powering Vermont to a spot in the divisional finals with a .316 average over five games in the playoffs. He’s only improved in the two years since then, opening the 2015 summer season with an unprecedented run at the plate.

“I’m just looking to take it step-by-step, a little improvement here and there.” Roulis said. “I tweak my game when I need too, and when it doesn’t I just keep doing what I’m doing. Every year, every day, whatever it is, I”m looking to get a little bit better.”

He’s had four consecutive multi-hit games, including a five-hit outing in a 5-1 win over Laconia, with the fifth and final hit a two-out solo home run. Roulis almost powered out another home run during Wednesday’s game, settling for a double that hit off the wall in right field.

“It was fun to watch,” Vermont manager Joe Brown said after Roulis went 2-for-4 on opening night. “I love him. He played for us two years ago and had a great summer with Plymouth last year, and we’re happy he’s here.”

Roulis has powered the Mountaineers offense, which ranks near the top of the league in average through the first several games. In what will be his last run in a summer collegiate league, Roulis is giving it his all.

“I’m just happy to be playing again,” Roulis said. “It’s been 10 months, so I’m happy to be on a field again.”

Dartmouth and Vermont fans alike can agree with that statement.

No comments :

Post a Comment